Times they are a changin…(and a mini menu plan)

You may have noticed recently if you follow my menu plan, that we have been addressing some health issues with my husband lately. Well, actually we have been dealing with them for a while. I am thankful to say that this year my husband has been cancer free for 6 years. Though, as I write this I am staring out the window of the surgical floor unit at our local hospital. He had to have surgery done to correct some complications from a previous cancer surgery.

My hubby is pretty awesome. He makes me laugh, he slows me down when I am going too fast, he wants to see my dreams come true and has made a lot of sacrifices to see that happen. I say all of this mushy gushy stuff to say that we both really need to focus on being healthier. I want us both to live long lives so that we can annoy the mess out of each other when we are old and grey. In order to do that we both need to lose some weight and get healthy! So you will probably see recipes that don’t fit my usual bill (butter, cream, etc…) but no worries! I promise that I won’t post a recipe that my persnickety husband and I wouldn’t eat and love ourselves.

Here is our menu plan for this week. We are planning on eating really well during the week and loosening the reins a little on the weekend to enjoy the things we really crave in moderation.

p.s. You won’t find a lot of recipes on my blog with fat free ingredients. Reduced fat is just about as far as I am willing to go. While we both want to lose weight, we aren’t interested in taking in a lot of fillers and junk that most of those things have.

General Tso’s Chicken with Brown Rice

Flemish Beef Stew with whole wheat rolls

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce, Crash Hot Potatoes and salad

I don’t know how long we will be at the hospital, plus I have an event on Friday so I am only planning three meals for the week.

I would love to see any recipes you adore that are healthy and under 500 calories per serving. Comment below and enlighten me! 🙂

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in General Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Times they are a changin…(and a mini menu plan)

1. Linda says:

Oh Jessy, I am so happy for this new adventure! I love you both! I know you of all people can combine great tasting and healthy! I look forward to seeing your new menus!

2. Brittney says:

I love my creams and butters to! Although, we don’t cook with it to much, now a days… One of my favorite, easy, healthy, recipes is Roasted Lemon Chicken… I use chicken quarters (because their so much cheaper!) Cut up some potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots, use a little oil like smart balance and salt and pepper, mix well. Salt, pepper and garlic powder the chicken, place on pan (whichever kind of pan you prefer) Place seasoned veggies all around the chicken and roast at 425 until the chicken pulls from the bone, about 30-45 minutes. Once it looks done add lemon juice (liberally, I probably use 1/4c.) and parsley to veggies and chicken, mix as well as possible and place back in the oven for about 10 minutes. Delicious!

• Jessy says:

That sounds fantastic! Hubby doesn’t eat dark meat but I do, so I would probably mix it up with chicken breasts and leq quarters. I adore lemon plus roasting is such a great way to cook things with maximum flavor. Thank you! 🙂

3. Mary Jane says:

I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing all this. Your Mom sure did raise a wonderful daughter!

4. Cejay says:

Well, I’m no one’s go to lowfat girl I’d promise you but I do a couple of little things I do like whole milk greek yogurt in place of sour cream in a mornay-ish sauce or cheesecake or evaporated milk instead of heavy cream in an alfredo (but with an egg yolk still). I’d say check Cara’s blog for some subbing ideas she is a guru of such hijinx. (I’ve gotten some other ideas from her, that I occasionally was suspicious of at first but ended up liking or loving… At this point, I trust her enough that if I like the ingredients going into it I trust that any odd sounding pairing/use will work exactly as she says.)

My overall philosophy is that less of a good thing is better than more of a bad, or even mediocre, one. So (when possible) I often tend to try cutting an offending ingredient in half and seeing how that turns out before bothering with substituting it. If substituting (once I’ve move on to it) goes badly too, I figure if I eat it the original way but 1/2 as often (or more infrequently) I’ve won the battle well enough for that dish. A lazy approach I know, but you know I am the ‘Lazy Lady’ afterall so I guess it is at least apropos.

• Jessy says:

Those are great ideas! I was just on Caras blog perusing through some fun recipes. I love hearing about those little swaps and tricks that help simulate the flavor/texture. I’m also big on just eat less of a good thing when you can’t make it right.
      Of course- this fatty fatty fat fat needs to work on the eating less part. LOL

• Cejay says:

See, I totally understand that… which is why I just plan the dish less often instead of expecting myself to eat a scant portion (which would be setting myself up for failure).

5. Jessica says:

Thinking of you right now. Wish I could give you a big hug, I know the hospital isn’t the most fun place you could be spending your time. Your hubby sounds awesome and like a real fighter. And I think it’s great that you’re going to make these changes together. It’s totally possibly to make healthy changes without sacrificing the delicious flavors you’re used to.

And PS. if you ever need to “talk” my email inbox is always open!

6. Melanie says:

First off, i wish a speedy recovery to your husband!!! I too look forward to your new menus. I am a new follower of your blog but so far I have been very impressed. General Tso’s is one of my most favorite Chinese food to eat. I don’t like broccoli so when I make it at home, I actually throw zucchini in it instead. I just cut it up into 1/4” thick strips and then cut it into bite size pieces. My boyfriend who is anti-veggies will actually eat that! Keep bringing on your recipes and blog!

7. Jessy says:

Thanks so much Melanie! I’m so glad you are a new reader! 🙂 Thanks for your well wishes, that means a lot. 🙂 I love zucchini so that sounds like a great plan to me, I think I’ll add both!
    Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    -Jessy

8. Marguerite says:

I am a wellness fanatic and it’s incredibly crucial to me that individuals find out exactly how to eat right and remain healthy. Although it doesn’t matter to a ton
    of other people, eating healthy as well as remaining fit is really crucial to
    me. It’s so depressing that there are so lots of individuals nowadays that don’t care about eating foods
    that are healthy and balanced or about staying fit.